Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What is the opposite of "drought"?

Well, this surely has been an eventful summer.  I was going to write a blog about all the events I have experienced, but it was interrupted today by mother nature's own event. 

One of the main questions I get in June and July is "What do you do during the summer?"  The common thought is that when there are no students at school, I must be leaned back in my chair with my feet propped up, reading the paper.  Unfortunately, I have yet to read a paper this summer. 

Typically, the summer is loaded with potential employee interviews, curriculum orders, new furniture orders, prospective family interviews, general building maintenance, policy review, and meetings about how to improve our school for the upcoming year.  Believe it or not, it really does stay pretty busy. 

However, on occasion, we have something happen which puts everything else on hold.  Such an event occurred last night.  If you have looked out the window this year, you know that we have received all-time record rainfall through the first half of the 2013.  The ground is pretty saturated to say the least.  With that being true, we received one of the hardest rainfalls I have ever seen last night.  At my house (which is close to the school), we got several inches of rain in a couple hours.  Animals started lining up in pairs in the back yard, just in case. 

When we got to school this morning, we had a mess.  I am attaching some pictures I took so that you can see what we saw.  Once we get this cleaned up, I will send some updates on "real" school questions you may have.  Thanks to Chris Bunton for coming on short notice to help us suck up water, and dry things out!

By the time I am writing this, most of the mess has been cleaned up.  Whomever has been praying for rain, you can stop now!

I hope everyone is having a great summer.  I look forward to seeing you again in a month or so...

The washout behind the school.  Notice the depth of the water line on the outside of the building. 
About 8 - 9 inches deep!
 

About 1/2" of water on the cafeteria floor.

 
 Fortunately, the cheerleaders were here to help clean up!

Gymnasium
 

 Computer Lab

 

Mud in the kitchen
 

Library


1 comment: